First off, thank you to everyone for all their hard work this summer. We really appreciate it. It was an interesting year to say the least.
And now onto the fun….. as is our annual tradition. I know that it’s a little light this year, and I’m sure some of you slid under the radar so congratulations.
And also congratulations to Sam Flynn, your 2020 Spaz Award winner!
2020 Annual Quiz Answer Key
- Which Southers Marsh employee locked up the Spaz Award only 4 days into the new Spaz season by crashing his father’s truck into a tree on Christmas morning last year? Your hero, Sam Flynn. Well done sir!
- Using the latest NASA technology, would it be possible to hit a tree more squarely between the headlights than this person did? Absolutely not! Caught the tree behind the second green absolutely square!
- At the time of the incident, what was the size of the hole in the icy windshield that the driver was looking through? 2 inches. There’s a lesson to be learned here…
- Of the roughly 6 times in 2020 that big Will left his house in his truck this summer, how many times did he run out of gas? 2
- How many times did he have his cell phone with him when he ran out of gas? In the upset of the 2020 quiz, the answer is that he actually did have his cell phone with him one of the times he ran out of fuel.
- True or False – Big Bob filled the gas tank of a chainsaw this year with bar oil He most certainly did!
- True or False – After the bar oil was cleaned out to the gas tank, the saw still didn’t work because Willie had put the chain on backwards You know he did!
- True or False – Dari accidentally called 911 on herself this summer, and then had to wait for the police to arrive Atta girl Dari!
- True or False – Dari’s father is a police officer Yes…. I’m sure he’s very proud
- True or False – a man crashed his girlfriend’s car into the bog by the fourth hole in the snow in April, and then tried to flee on foot. He eventually turned himself in when he got too cold. True, he was on the lam for about an hour. It was snowing and he didn’t have a jacket so he had to give himself up. Apparently he didn’t have his cell phone either….
- Who did the most damage to the bog – the guy who crashed the car, the tow truck guy trying to get the car out of the bog Definitely the tow truck driver, who apparently thought he could just drive the car out of the bog. When he got stuck in a ditch, he just gunned the engine for a while and dug himself a nice little hole
- Who did the responding police officer want to give the breathalyzer to? The tow truck guy. The police officer just stood and watched in disbelief, and said “I should give that guy the breathalyzer”
- True or False – Beau, Jack, and Willie were eyeball witnesses to a guy driving a box truck into the same bog a couple months later and snapping off his front axle. Yep, we were on the 4th fairway, heard screeching tires and turned around to see a giant box truck come sideways around the corner, launch into the bog, and completely snap it’s front axle off. It was very exciting
- True or False – Betsy backed into a Ferrari this summer. In her own driveway. Yep, she says it wasn’t her fault. (Using the Big Will defense when you back into a stationary object)
- How many times was the dining room filled and emptied with shiplap to be stained before we had enough to line the walls of the Barn? 4 plus. It was a lot
- Why are there aluminum panels attached to the dividers in the Barn? Sarah smoked a ball off a garage door divider. It was a learning experience.
- How loud is it when someone hits one of the dividers? Really loud. It can be heard all over the course, let alone in the building.
- Connor was late to work one day, because he got pulled over on his way to work. Why did he get pulled over? Kind of trick question. His horn didn’t work and his sticker was expired, but the reason he got pulled over was because it was dark out and he didn’t have his headlights on
- True or False – MacBooks are water proof (or almond milk proof) Turns out, they are neither water or almond milk proof. That will ruin your whole day.
- When Van overfilled the oil in the range picker, why did he decide to add oil to it? It smelled funny….. filled it right to the top of the fill tube….
- True or False – Van has a mechanical engineering degree from a very well-respected college Hard to believe at times, but totally true….
- True or False – Willie was ordering lunch from Georgio’s one day and Van asked for 3 slices of cheese. For a solid minute Willie was confused because he thought Van just wanted 3 individual slices of American cheese. Willie is an idiot too
- True or False – 3 individual slices of American cheese wouldn’t be the strangest lunch Van ate in 2020 Not even close. I’m going with the 14 inch cucumber dipped in hummus. Which was done repeatedly
- True or False – Van lived for several months in Hawaii this summer, where the only toilet was a wooden pallet over a hole in the ground. 100% true
- If you need to dig up a golf course sprinkler head to be flushed or replaced you need to dig a hole that’s about 2 feet by 2 feet. According to Van, how many pieces of sod should that be chopped into to most effectively accomplish the repair? Apparently 34? I’m not convinced it’s the best way, but to each their own
- How long does it take Cole Gustin to unravel an entire roll of Teflon tape? He’s proved time and again he can empty that roll nearly instantaneously. It’s a gift
- According to Anastacia, what is the price of a shot at the bar compared to a mixed drink using the same type and amount of alcohol? Trick question. Technically not supposed to serve shots, but occasionally for VIPs we bend the rules. According to Anastacia, who has nearly zero bartending experience it’s one third of the price of a mixed drink. You know, because the mixers are the expensive part of the drink
- True or False – Cole knows what soda water is False – sent to the store for soda water for the bev cart, returned with a bunch of flavored seltzer waters
- True or False – It’s a good idea to jam on the brakes when you’re driving a string of carts down the hill by the clubhouse. False – nice work Lucy. In hindsight, probably 13 year olds shouldn’t be driving at all….
- On day 2 of replanting the cranberry bogs it took Drew Bennett 30 minutes to fill a cooler with drinks and ice. He then placed the cooler within sight of everyone, but how long would it have taken someone to walk from where we were working to where the cooler was located? You could see the cooler from where we were, but you had to travel probably 300 yards and cross 2 ditches to get to it. I think 7 minutes is being generous
- During the installation of the sprinkler system on bog 3, we accidentally used drip irrigation pipe instead of funny pipe at about two thirds of sprinkler heads. What was the solution? Dig them all up. It wasn’t a happy day…..
- What happened to Willie’s car when he ran over the drag mat near bog 3? 2 flat tires, what a jackass
- Who left the drag mat there before Willie ran it over? Next question please
- How much money did Pru find on the fifth green and turn in one morning this summer? $910. Too much for the Pru Rule. (For those of you who don’t know the Pru Rule, this is your last warning. Anything of value – watches, cash, jewelry, etc. found in carts or on the course is given to Pru for safekeeping and he will divvy it up as he sees fit at the end of the season. Usually he turns it into losing scratch tickets.)
- How much money did Pru find in total on the fifth green this summer? This question is being deleted
- One morning Jaimee Butler came in and couldn’t find the Monday League sign in sheet. Why couldn’t she find it? It was Friday. This is probably the most emblematic story of the 2020 summer. How do you mistake a Friday for a Monday? In any other year, totally impossible
- When the beverage cart wouldn’t shut off what did Willie try to get it to turn off? All of the above, it was spooky. I assume disconnecting the fuel line would have eventually worked, but it was pumping fuel all over the basement
- Which of the following people wrecked a beverage cart this summer? Shea, Catie, and Tori (Stokes) all did their part
- Who killed a beverage cart permanently? Just Shea and Catie. I’m pretty sure it was accidental
- True or False – The “good” beverage cart has had all these things happen to it during its life All of it and then some. It was a heck of a run.
- Which months was the Sherriff Employee of the Month? He’s always knocking on the door, but can never close the deal. Maybe next year Sherriff!
Have a safe and happy holiday everyone, and thank you so much!